We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Apple cake
These delicious snacks are perfect anytime of the day. A lightly spiced apple cake is topped with icing and cut into bars.
20 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 32 bars
- For the Bars
- 50g margarine
- 100g dark brown soft sugar
- 250g apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 125g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 75g raisins
- For the Icing
- 50g butter
- 180g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Extra time:2hr cooling › Ready in:2hr40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 20x30cm or similar sized baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, cream together margarine and dark brown soft sugar until smooth. Blend in the apple sauce and egg.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice, stir into the apple sauce mixture. Fold in raisins.
- Spread the batter evenly in to the prepared tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Heat butter in a small saucepan until melted and golden brown. Mix in icing sugar and vanilla. Gradually stir in the milk until icing is smooth and spreadable. Spread over cooled cake before cutting into squares.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(22)
Reviews in English (20)
Light as a feather.. I tweaked it a bit ... I used Mixed spice and Cinnamon...and cooked my own Bramley Apples and mashed...I doubled the mixture and topped with Glace Icing ...lovely-19 Apr 2017
First of all, I have to say that I made a lot of modifications. I was looking for a healthy cake/bar with applesauce that we can eat as a family for dessert, and not blow a bunch of calories! This turned out to be a good starting point. I used turbinado sugar (same sweetness as processed, but comes in crystals--still has that molasses flavor, but lighter). We had some leftover cinnamon applesauce, so I used that, and the little bit of extra cinnamon was great. Instead of raisins, I chopped up half of a big gala apple (skin on, important vitamins) and used about a third of a cup of chopped walnuts. I also used 2/3 whole wheat flour, instead of all white.That said, it's a delicious, moist bar with a wonderful flavor, and I think the apples and walnuts make it much more satiating, too. It's also very quick and easy to make, popped it in as I was making lunch.The only reason I didn't put 5 stars, is because I made so many changes and didn't leave it as-is.-05 Aug 2007
A very nice, cake like texture. Almost like a spice cake. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was I didn't care for the icing. I will make this again but make a different icing.-21 Nov 2006